NEW! SIA Security Systems Technician Apprenticeship Program
Launch your career with an apprenticeship at one of the nation's top security systems integration firms!
Introducing a new apprenticeship initiative for security technicians and installers! This 12-month program, created to help address the security industry’s workforce challenges, diversify the talent pipeline and foster career development opportunities within the industry, is designed to develop basic networking, IT and cybersecurity competence among systems installers through workplace learning and one-to-one mentoring.
If this sounds like the job for you, read more and then apply today!
A Career in a $26.75 Billion Industry!
With annual revenues of well over $26 billion, the security industry offers enormous growth opportunities for motivated individuals.
A High-Growth Industry
With a growth rate of 9% per year, this industry climbs steadily and weathers economic storms with ease – meaning stable career growth for you!
Earn While You Learn
Get paid to learn advanced security technology like AI-enabled solutions, low-voltage systems and sensor-rich networks.
What to Expect as an Apprentice
SIA’s Security Systems Technician (SST) Apprenticeship Program focuses on physical security systems installation, device networking and configuration, cybersecurity and project management and targets security system installation technicians.
- A Paid Apprenticeship: Each approved apprentice will be placed with a competent security integration firm in your area for 12 months, and you'll "learn and earn" as you work on advanced security solutions projects for top-level clients, mostly at national and global commercial clients!
- Work With Top Companies: The initial employer partners participating in the pilot program are security systems integrators working with the mega-tech partners, and include such firms as Johnson Controls, Northland Controls and Securitas Electronic Security during our pilot phase.
- Receive Extensive Training: Along the way, you'll complete the SST Work Process Schedule consisting of a minimum of 144 hours of related-technical instruction and 2,000 hours of guided on-the-job training. The work process schedule's technical instruction will be delivered through SIA's online learning management system.
- Approved by the Department of Labor: The program falls under the Information Security Analysts occupation group (O*NET Code 15-1212.00) aligning with other registered apprenticeship programs that address security for computer networks and information, such as cybersecurity support technician and cyber defense analyst
- Build Cyber Skills: Unlike other programs, the SST apprenticeship program uniquely addresses both physical device installation for low-voltage security equipment and cybersecurity controls for safeguarding electronic infrastructure and technology.
- Funded by the American Institutes for Research: The pilot program receives funding from the American Institutes for Research (AIR), as well as a group of major technology companies which leverage third-party security systems integrators. SIA administers the program and provides related technical training and coursework.
Ready to Launch Your Career?
Take the next step by reviewing basic eligibility requirements and starting your application!
Industry Stakeholders: Be Part of the Launch!
If you're with a SIA member company and want to contribute to growing the next generation of the security technology workforce, SIA wants you involved. There are opportunities to contribute learning content for apprentices, hire apprentices and more. Email us at email@example.com to get in touch!
No degree? No problem.
You’ve worked hard to get where you are – diploma, degree or not. SIA’s SST Apprenticeship Program is open to all skill levels and experience. Learn more about eligibility on our application page.
"Earn While You Learn"
Participants will be paid on a progressive scale based on the current industry average hourly rate (and matched to your local cost of living), with increase opportunities throughout the yearlong apprenticeship period, at 6-month, 9-month and at the conclusion when your role can convert to a full technician position.
After finishing the 12-month program, you'll be an experienced and skilled security systems technician, eligible to earn $50,000 or more per year!
What You Will Learn
The core competencies covered by the SST apprenticeship program include the following:
- Basic hardware and IT security principles
- Network security and troubleshooting
- Threats, attacks and vulnerabilities
- Governance, risk and compliance
- Device installation
- System integration and testing
- Employability skills