Security Project Management (SPM) Training Seminars
SPM is essential training for Security Project Managers
Ready to take your projects to the next level? Prepared to do the same with your career? More than just knowing the technology, successful project management involves budgeting, client management, timeline execution and more. When you’re ready to excel, SIA’s Security Project Management training course can help you.
What You Will Learn
- Increase profit margin through more accurate estimations.
- Deliver projects on time and within budget.
- Apply the five phases of security project management.
- Enhance customer satisfaction and increase return business.
- Review the six domains of the Certified Security Project Manager (CSPM) exam blueprint.
Who Should Take the Seminar
- Security Project Managers
- Lead Installation Technicians
- Security Managers
- System Architects and Engineers
- Sales Professionals Who Also Oversee Project Completion
Join Us for a CSPM/SPM Info Session on August 10
Join SIA's Learning and Development team for a 30-minute briefing to learn more about the CSPM credential and SPM courses.
Key Topics Covered:
- How to define a project’s scope
- How to identify the project budget
- Employing current physical security technologies
- How to define the stakeholders
- How to define project KPIs
- Understand procurement and cost management
- How to manage vendor and subcontractor relationships
- How to monitor schedules and track variances
- Essential project management communication skills
What They're Saying About SPM
"The education that SIA provides, especially with the Security Project Management Program, really enables integrators and installers to get a full understanding of the process of how a project works from start to finish." —David Pedriera, ASSA ABLOY
New for 2021!
CSPM Review Course
Introducing a new course to help you prepare for the CSPM exam
UPCOMING SPM Training CourseS
|Aug. 9-12 (3:00-5:30 p.m. EDT)||Basics of SPM Course||Virtual via Zoom||Steve Oplinger||Register|
|Sept. 20-23 (12:00-4:00 p.m. EDT)||SPM Training Seminar||Virtual via Zoom||Tracy Larson||Register|
|Oct. 18-21 (4:00-6:30 p.m. EDT)||Basics of SPM Course||Virtual via Zoom||Steve Oplinger||Register|
|Dec. 6-9 (4:00-6:30 p.m. EST)||Basics of SPM Course||Virtual via Zoom||Rex Allen||Register|
For more information regarding 2021 courses, email DeAndre Thornton or call 301-804-4723.
Now Available! On-Demand SPM Training
We have made it easier for you to enhance your knowledge and improve your skills by accessing our Basics of SPM course on-demand and at your convenience. Pricing $199 for SIA members; $299 for non-members
*The Basics of SPM on-demand course is not designed as a prep course for the CSPM exam.
J. Kelly Stewart is managing director and CEO of Newcastle Consulting, an enterprise security risk and information management consultancy that provides proactive, predictive and responsive advice and access to information critical in building a companies' resiliency to operational risk. As an SPM instructor, Stewart draws upon more than 25 years of public and private sector experience as a security advisor, subject matter expert, and former chief security officer with Fortune 500 and 1000 corporations focused on enterprise risk, strategic security, information, and protection management.
Tracy Larson is president and founding partner of WeSuite, a sales management software which automates the sales workflow for businesses selling labor, parts and services. A graduate of Cornell University, Tracy’s career highlights feature strong experience in operations, sales, systems integration and facilities management, with roles including vice president of worldwide real estate and facilities for Computer Associates, president of ITG Larson Inc., chief operating officer for Antar-Com Inc. and vice president of sales for Diebold Electronic Security Systems.
As a SPM instructor and co-author of the SIA Security Project Management Common Body of Knowledge Guidebook, Steve Oplinger brings 28 years of security industry experience and has been involved in the design and deployment of hundreds of federal and state security construction projects. He held the role of lead designer for U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement projects, and he recently served as Chairman of the ASIS Physical Security Council. Oplinger is a featured speaker at industry events and provides subject matter expertise to numerous seminars and workshops.
Rodger Schmidt is an ALOA-certified ACE instructor and a SIA SPM instructor who brings over 22 years of fire, security and access control experience in the areas of service, sales and training, in addition to 20 years of active duty and reserve military experience. For the past 5 years he has served as a national trainer for ASSA ABLOY, developing and conducting over 1,000 classes, and has presented to over 10,000 attendees. Previously, he was responsible for tremendous sales growth with a large regional integrator and worked with a team that built a state-of-the-art training center for the firm.
SPM instructor Rex Allen has over 20 years of security project management experience in government and private sector contracts having served for national security contractors specializing in the design, installation and service of integrated security solutions for the federal government and institutional sectors. He worked as a senior project manager and program manager for Intelligent Access Systems and now is operations manager for Securadyne Systems, serving clients in the transportation, energy and critical infrastructure sectors. He is also a member of the PSA Committee on Project Management.
After graduating St. Mary’s College of Maryland with a bachelor’s degree in economics, Brendan McFall “stumbled” into the security industry. Brendan’s career began in 2014 in his role as executive assistant for Northland Controls’ CEO, Pierre Trapanese. Over the last five years, he’s taken on a number of different roles, most recently becoming Northland’s technical engineering manager. In 2016, McFall earned his Certified Security Project Manager (CSPM) certification. A year later, he joined the steering committee of SIA’s RISE community for young security professionals as the vice-chair of social media, and in 2018 he accepted the committee’s role of chairman. Brendan still supports the RISE committee today and is passionate about helping other young professionals advance in their careers.
SPM Course Options
- Basics of SPM Course (10-hour course covering essentials)
- SPM Training Seminar (20-hour in-depth course)
Basics of SPM CourseThe Basics of SPM Course is the essential training you and your team need. Get the best of SIA's SPM Training without leaving your home or office! The Basics of SPM Course offers 10 hours of interactive, virtual instruction over the course of four days (2.5 hour sessions each day) and is held regularly throughout the year.
An Online, Instructor-led, Interactive Format
- Highly interactive, engaging Q&A
- 4 sessions, 2.5 hours each
- See course schedule
- Pricing: $299 for SIA members; $399 for non-members
SPM Training Seminar
- Full, 20-hour course
- Includes student materials (workbook, SPM book of knowledge and resource guide)
- Offered in both virtual and in-person training formats
The SPM Training Seminar is our 20-hour, instructor-led program and is offered in virtual and in-person formats. With double the material of the basics course, this offering is for those who need a deep dive into best practices related to project management for security systems installations.
This 20-hour training seminar offers project managers clear perspective on the importance of their role to project stakeholders and identifies risks that could hinder project success.
What Attendees Receive With the Full SPM Training Seminar
- 20-hours of in-depth, personalized training with a highly experienced instructor
- The SPM Student Workbook, an educational guide to help participants learn the six core knowledge domains of Security Project Management – featuring structured activities, case studies, and more.
- The SIA SPM Common Body of Knowledge (CBOK), a shared framework of security terms and principles that allows security project managers to discuss, debate and resolve matters pertaining to the profession with a common understanding.
- SIA Security Project Management Resource Guide, a compendium of checklists, templates and other materials to help prepare for success on future projects.
SPM Training Seminar Course Delivery Options:
Online, instructor-led, interactive format
- Highly interactive, engaging Q&A
- Direct engagement with instructors
- 5 sessions, 4 hours each
- See course schedule
- Pricing: $995 for SIA members (rate applies to employees of SIA member companies); $1,295 for non-members companies.
In-person courses (temporarily on hold)
- In-person courses are temporarily suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic
Private Courses: Train Your Team
Develop your team’s skills for better consistency and efficiency on security projects. Designed to bring SPM training to security integrators, SIA can offer private classes of the SPM course for groups of 8 or more persons. To learn about hosting or sponsoring a SPM training seminar, contact Katie Greatti at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-804-4741.
Next Step: Earn Your CSPM
After taking an SPM training course, you're highly encouraged to earn your CSPM credential. This respected certification demonstrates that holders can manage complex, technical security projects.