Leveraging insights from independent research, surveys, focus groups and top sessions at the Securing New Ground (SNG) conference, Security Megatrends, an annual publication of the Security Industry Association (SIA), provides analysis on 10 top trends affecting security industry businesses and practitioners. Released in December 2023, the 2024 Security Megatrends report presents a forecast for the security industry’s future and breaks down the top trends that will impact you and your organization in the coming year.
The 2024 report revealed that there is no trend larger or more impactful to the security industry than artificial intelligence (AI), but this trend is so vast and multifaceted that it is split into four components that are trends unto themselves. Additionally, the trends of workforce development, a cloud model for technology delivery, cybersecurity, global tensions, supply chain assurance, changing economic conditions and sustainability (some previously long recognized as Security Megatrends) are now so much part of the fabric of the world that they are viewed no longer as future-looking megatrends, but instead as foundational trends: common concerns that all business leaders must manage as they operate within the security industry.
In addition to the rankings, the full 2024 Security Megatrends report, which is available for download here, provides data and statistics on such topics as autonomous devices, quantum computing and post-quantum cryptography, elimination or reduction of physical credentials and more data points that help tell the story of today’s industry and forecast where the industry will be tomorrow.
2024 SIA Security Megatrends
The 2024 Security Megatrends are:
- The Security of AI
- AI: Visual Intelligence, Not Video Surveillance
- Generative AI
- Regulation of AI
- Expansion and Evolution of Security’s ROI
- SaaS Reshapes Integration Business Model
- Impact of the Megatech Companies
- Megacloud Consolidation
- Real Estate Reoptimization
- IT-OT Convergence
In addition to the rankings, key insights you will find in the 2024 SIA Security Megatrends report include:
- How changing economic conditions and security as a service change security industry business models
- The blessings and curses of generative AI and the technology’s impact on companies’ business and product strategies
- Addressing concerns related to trust, ethical application and cybersecurity of AI
- How the camera’s expanding role as the ultimate sensor creates opportunity and disruption
- Regulations to watch that could impact security businesses