Hey SIA members! Here are the top things you need to know about our latest activities and resources, upcoming events and opportunities and more.
Welcome, New Members!
The Security Industry Association (SIA) would like to welcome its newest members: Brooks Building Technology Advisors, CohesionIB, ECAMSECURE, SAFR From Realnetworks, SecureNet Technologies and Tempo Cyber Group. Thanks for your membership, and we look forward to working with you!
Here’s What Else You Need to Know This Month:
- Scholarships are now open for the 2022 SIA RISE Scholarship! Through this program powered by the Foundation for Advancing Security Talent (FAST), young professionals and/or SIA student members will receive $3,000 awards to use toward SIA learning and development offerings, industry conferences, repayment of student loan debt or other academic/education programs. Applications are due Sept. 23; learn more and get started here.
- On July 27, the Chips and Science Act of 2022 cleared its final hurdle with passage in the U.S. House of Representatives. The bill now moves to President Biden’s desk for his signature, following 18 months of negotiations over the final provisions of the measure to boost U.S. competitiveness globally in science and technology and within key industry sectors. SIA applauds the passage of the bill and has provided helpful analysis on what it means for the security industry.
- Interested in earning SIA’s Certified Security Project Manager (CSPM) credential? Sign up for the next CSPM Review Course taking place Aug. 8-10! This 6-hour virtual course is designed to help you prepare for the CSPM exam, covering concepts and skills outlined in the CSPM exam blueprint and how to effectively prep for the exam. Learn more and register here.
- New course alert! Starting Aug. 9, join us virtually for the next SIAcademy LIVE! training, which will help your company increase sales, improve lead generation strategies and win more business through authentic customer service and needs-based sales approaches. Learn more and register here.
- During this time of Schrodinger’s Recession – with the U.S. economy simultaneously in a recession and not in one – the resilience of the security industry during downturns is being tested. In this blog from SIA’s Ron Hawkins, learn about the supply chain issues facing the security industry and how they are impacting market confidence.
- In the D.C. area? Join us for in-person networking on Thursday, Aug. 18! The next SIA National Capital Region Security Forum event, graciously sponsored by Evolv Technology, will be a great opportunity to meet with your colleagues, get caught up on what’s going on in the industry and enjoy a beverage and/or bite to eat. Learn more and RSVP here.
- Build your test-day confidence and prepare to earn the Security Industry Cybersecurity Certification (SICC) with the new SICC Review Course! Taking place virtually Aug. 22-25, the SICC Review Course is designed to help prepare you for the certification exam using proven instructional design techniques and interactive learning tools. Learn more and register here.
- SIAThere! is back in person and coming to the Dallas area! This series of free networking events is designed to help you meet new people, build business connections and network with other security professionals. Join us Aug. 25 at the Rangers ballpark in Arlington, Texas, for the next in-person SIAThere! event; learn more and RSVP here.
- SIA’s Integration Insights video series for security integrators returns with a look at how sales professionals for security integrators can use qualifying questions on your sales calls. Vector Firm Co-Founder and President Chris Peterson has been providing modern-day sales training for the security industry, and he joins us for the latest Integration Insights episode to share some of his best practices for asking questions on sales calls with customers.
- A transformation is happening. From global enterprises to the most renowned hospitals, cloud access control is quickly becoming more popular, replacing its on-premises predecessors. But beyond the typical sales points, what makes the cloud truly worth the investment? This SIA Center of Excellence piece from Genea’s Mike Maxsenti explores cloud access control and the importance of API integrations.
- For those unfamiliar with ballistic security, it would be easy to assume the process is as simple as a single piece of bullet-resistant glass, but unfortunately no single ballistic item can provide adequate protection on its own. In this article, Total Security Solutions CEO Jim Richards makes the case for a systems approach to ballistic security.
- New research on stadium security! SIA recently convened a focus group of stadium security practitioners from professional teams and major colleges to learn more about their security technology needs. This paper summarizes their comments in the interest of sharing with SIA members key trends within this vertical market.
- Registration is open for Securing New Ground (SNG) 2022, and time is running out to unlock early bird savings! SNG, taking place Oct. 18-19 in New York City, is the most visionary event in all of security. Register by Aug. 18 to save $300 on your seat at this can’t-miss executive conference.