Hey SIA members! Here are the top things you need to know about our latest activities and resources, upcoming events and opportunities and more.
Welcome, New Members!
The Security Industry Association (SIA) would like to welcome its newest members: Camio, Digital Visions, HiveWatch, Huntington Security Systems, Incode, ProTecht Solutions Partners and RaptorVision. Thanks for your membership, and we look forward to working with you!
Here’s What Else You Need to Know This Month:
- SIA is developing a new apprenticeship program to help address the security industry’s workforce challenges, diversify the talent pipeline and foster career development opportunities within the industry. The initiative, which will launch in June 2023, will connect job seekers with security systems integrators for paid apprenticeships featuring on-the-job training, learning and preparation for careers in the industry.
- On Sept. 21, SIA’s Identity and Biometric Technology Advisory Board will host a lunch event in the Washington, D.C., area, an opportunity for security leaders to interact and engage with federal law enforcement personnel on the front lines of deploying biometric technologies to protect U.S. citizens. Attendees will enjoy lunch, premier networking and remarks from Benjamine “Carry” Huffman of U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Learn more and register here.
- On Sept. 27, SIA’s AI, Drones and Robotics Interest Group will present the first in a series of free virtual town hall events focusing on key artificial intelligence (AI) topics. Part 1 of this AI town hall series will provide an overview of key terms and definitions and address top advancements and challenges. Learn more and register here.
- SIA has revealed the 2022 schedule, speaker lineup and program for Securing New Ground (SNG), the security industry’s executive conference, taking place Oct. 18-19 at the Intercontinental Times Square in New York City. At SNG 2022, the security industry will gather for top-level information sharing, networking and business analysis. Register by Sept. 16 to save $400 on your seat!
- Registration is now open for ISC East 2022, taking place Nov. 15-17 in New York City! With a top-quality SIA Education@ISC conference program, premier special events and one-on-one conversations with top innovators, you won’t want to miss this year’s show. Register for free here.
- New update from the SIA Data Privacy Advisory Board! In the latest blog, learn what the proposed American Data Privacy and Protection Act could mean for security industry businesses, plus explore new efforts from the advisory board.
- Time is running out to apply for the 2022 SIA RISE Scholarship! Through this program powered by the Foundation for Advancing Security Talent (FAST), young professionals and/or SIA student members will receive $3,000 awards to use toward SIA learning and development offerings, industry conferences, repayment of student loan debt or other academic/education programs. Applications are due Sept. 23; learn more and get started here.
- SIA is now seeking nominations for candidates to serve as the next chair of the SIA New Products and Solutions (NPS) Awards Committee, and we encourage you to nominate a leader for this vital role. Nominations are due Sept. 30! The new chair will be officially named this fall and officially assume their role as part of the SIA NPS program during ISC West 2023.
- The SIA National Capital Region Security Forum – a community of leading D.C.-area security professionals representing industry and government – has revealed the details for its ninth annual charity golf tournament. The event will take place Oct. 3 in Alexandria, Virginia. Proceeds from the annual golf outing will benefit the work of the Kennedy Krieger Institute’s Center for Brain Injury Recovery to support traumatic brain injury research and care for children and adolescents and improve the lives of those affected. Learn more here.
- SIA has named seven recipients for the 2022 SIA Women in Security Forum (WISF) Scholarship – a program developed by the SIA Women in Security Forum to further educational opportunities and promote advancement for the widest spectrum of people possible in the security industry. Each honoree will be awarded $10,000 to use toward continuing education and professional development courses, conferences or webinars, SIA program offerings, repayment of student loan debt and/or other education or academic pursuits.
- Want to take your security projects and career to the next level? SIA’s Security Project Management (SPM) training course can help! Join us virtually Sept. 19-22 for the next virtual SPM seminar and get the essential training you and your team need.
- Interested in earning SIA’s Security Industry Cybersecurity Certification (SICC) credential? Sign up for our SICC Info Session taking place Oct. 4 to learn more! You’ll hear what makes the SICC unique, the benefits of earning your certification, how to get started and more. RSVP here.
- On Oct. 27, join us in D.C. for a free one-day symposium on perimeter security with a focus on preventing vehicular terrorism, presented by SIA’s Perimeter Security Subcommittee. This symposium is meant to gather policymakers, federal agency personnel, architects and engineers, security industry solution providers and more in one room to examine and discuss current needs and threats to safety and security at facilities and public spaces. Learn more and register here.