What is the Women in Security Forum?
The Security Industry Association's (SIA's) Women in Security Forum is a group for both women and men that offers programs, professional development opportunities and networking events with the goal of supporting the involvement of women in the security industry.
The group's goals include:
- Advocating for advancement and building confidence in the workplace through mentorship and/or sponsorship programs
- Connecting women in the industry through networking events
- Developing recruiting efforts for next-generation female professionals and leaders
- Initiating ongoing dialogue between male and female leaders to enhance mutual understanding
- Identifying platforms that can provide visibility for women
- Spearheading an issue that will create opportunities for women to work together and be at the forefront of a major initiative
Why Should I Get Involved?
- Access opportunities like mentorship and/or sponsorship programs and networking events
- Be a part of programs like the new SIA Progress Award and panel discussions on recruiting talent in the security space
- Learn from the forum's thought leadership pieces from female security luminaries
Key Efforts and Activities
The Progress Award, launched in 2018 and sponsored by the Women in Security Forum, celebrates individuals who advance opportunities and pave the way to success for women in the security industry through volunteerism, professional development and efforts that foster a diverse workforce.
The recipient of the inaugural Progress Award will be recognized at SIA Honors Night 2018 on Wednesday, Nov. 14, in New York City. Know someone who's doing great things for women in the security industry? Nominations are being accepted through Friday, Aug. 24. Learn more and submit a nomination today.
SIA recently partnered with Security Sales & Integration to introduce a new column to support the participation of women in the security profession. Each column profiles a successful woman in security, highlighting her background, perspectives on security trends and advice for women in the industry. Read the first column featuring Christie Hamberis of ScanSource.
SIA Technology Insights
As part of the Women in Security Forum, the fall 2018 issue of SIA Technology Insights (STI) features entirely women-authored content. STI is a journal highlighting original, vendor-neutral content from industry experts and distilling the most current thinking for applying today's security technologies. The issue was published in fall 2018; make sure you get all issues of STI delivered to your inbox by subscribing today!
SIA is working with industry partners to develop exciting networking events for women in the security industry. Check out SIA's event calendar, and stay tuned for additional events to come.
Join the Women in Security Forum
Membership is open to SIA members in good standing (non-members are eligible for up to 90 days).