What is the Women in Security Forum?
The Security Industry Association's (SIA's) Women in Security Forum is a group for both women and men that offers programs, professional development opportunities and networking events with the goal of supporting the involvement of women in the security industry.
The mission of the forum is to engage all security professionals to promote, recruit and cultivate the leadership of women for a more inclusive and diversified industry.
The group's goals include:
- Advocating for advancement in the workplace through professional development and roundtable discussions
- Connecting women in the industry through networking events
- Developing recruiting efforts for next-generation female professionals and leaders
- Initiating ongoing dialogue between male and female leaders to enhance mutual understanding
- Spearheading an issue that will create opportunities for women to work together and be at the forefront of a major initiative
Why Should I Get Involved?
- Access opportunities like professional development and networking events
- Raise your visibility in the industry by participating in speaking engagements and leading initiatives
- Learn from the forum's thought leadership pieces from female security luminaries
HOw can i get involved?
Want to take the next step and influence change?
- Join a subcommittee
- PR and Marketing Subcommittee (Chair: Janet Fenner, member, SIA Board of Directors)
- Membership Subcommittee (Chair: Kelly Bond)
- Education and Outreach Subcommittee (Chair: Heidi Urban)
- Professional Development Subcommittee (Chair: Elaine Palome)
- Attend one of our events and connect with like-minded colleagues
- Inquire about thought leadership opportunities
- Follow us on LinkedIn for the most current and up-to-date information
Contact Kim Landgraf for more information and to get involved.
Key Efforts and Activities
The SIA Progress Award, launched in 2018 and sponsored by the Women in Security Forum, celebrates individuals who advance opportunities and pave the way to success for women in the security industry through volunteerism, professional development and efforts that foster a diverse workforce.
SIA's Women in Security Forum has introduced SECURE Perspectives, a column in partnership with Security Sales & Integration supporting the participation of women in the security profession. Each column profiles a successful woman in security, highlighting her background, perspectives on security trends and advice for women in the industry. Read this recent column featuring Janet Fenner, the 2020 recipient of SIA's Sandy Jones Volunteer of the Year Award.
Security Systems News Women in Security Issue
In December 2019, SIA's Women in Security Forum partnered with Security Systems News on the publication's 11th annual Women in Security issue, which celebrated 14 women leaders across many facets of the industry. Learn more and explore the issue.
Women in Biometrics Awards
The SIA Women in Security Forum is a sponsor of the annual Women in Biometrics Awards, co-founded by SIA and SecureIDNews. This program recognizes distinguished female leaders in the biometric identity and security industry for their contributions; winners are recognized each year at SIA GovSummit.
SIA is working with industry partners to develop exciting networking and professional growth events for women in the security industry. Check out SIA's event calendar, and stay tuned for additional events to come.
Join the Women in Security Forum
Membership is open to SIA members in good standing (non-members are eligible for up to 90 days).