The Security Industry Association (SIA) has released a new report for SIA members examining the opportunities, benefits and reasons for growth presented by the robotic security market. Market Spotlight: Extending the Capabilities of Human Security Officers With Modern Robotics – produced exclusively for SIA by research firm IDC in partnership with SIA’s Autonomous Security Robotics Working Group – highlights the following topics:
- Evolution of robotic technology
- How robots can enhance the skills of human security officers
- Security robots as modular platforms
- Impact on market as influenced by cost, by human security officer labor challenges and urbanization shifts
- Real-world scenarios for robotic security
Here are some of the key stats and facts revealed in the report:
- The market for security robotics worldwide is projected to reach a total value of more than $2.8 billion by 2023, which is a compound annual growth rate of over 20 percent.
- Security is a top use case for robotics, selected by over 40 percent of non-manufacturing companies surveyed by IDC on planned uses for robots.
- Here is a breakdown of interest in security robots by industry:
- State/provincial/local government (61.4%)
- Federal/central government (57.1%)
- Hospitality (51%)
- Warehousing and logistics (39.6%)
- Retail (38.2%)
- Oil and gas (37.5%)
- Health care (26.4%)
- Wholesale distribution (22.9%)
SIA’s Autonomous Security Robots Working Group brings together members of the security industry, end users, technology experts and other interested parties to promote best practices regarding the use of robots in security, develop research, offer guidance on legislative and regulatory matters and enhance communication and collaboration.