Resources for COVID-19 and Business Continuity
In light of the evolving situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, the Security Industry Association (SIA) wants to express our concern to all SIA members and to the broader security industry, particularly any individuals and companies being directly impacted by the coronavirus. This message from SIA CEO Don Erickson highlights SIA’s promise to do all we can to support your business during these uncertain times.
SIA recognizes that the spread of this virus could affect employee health and your business’ continuity. As such, we have provided a selection of public informational resources below that anyone can access to prepare for this public health emergency. Our thoughts are with all those persons directly impacted by and those responding to this global public health situation, and SIA will continue to guide members to additional resources.
[To submit resources to this page for consideration, please email SIA's Geoff Kohl at email@example.com.]
FEVER DETECTION AND CAMERA TECHNOLOGY – PART OF THE SOLUTION FOR PANDEMIC RECOVERY?
In this on-demand session from the 2020 SIA GovSummit, Zane Arp, director of the Division of Biomedical Physics at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and Jason Ouellette, head of technology business development at Johnson Controls, explore different applications of fever detection, thermal imaging systems and camera technology during COVID-19 recovery.
RESEARCH RESULTS: IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE INDUSTRY
SIA, the Electronic Security Association (ESA) and The Monitoring Association (TMA) conducted a nationwide survey of members in order to better gauge the impact COVID-19 has had on electronic security and life safety businesses. The results of this survey confirm the electronic security and life safety industry is being negatively impacted despite its role as an essential service in our economy.
Guide to State and Local COVID-19 Programs
This Guide to Local and State COVID-19 Programs has been compiled as part of the SIA and ASIS International partnership to create response-related resources and direct both organizations’ members to current information. The document is a state-by-state guide to programs, with web links and additional notes.
COVID-19 STIMULUS PACKAGE SUMMARY REPORTS
- Summary of American Rescue Plan COVID-19 Relief Stimulus: The $1.9 trillion legislation aids small businesses, schools, state governments and government contractors impacted by COVID-19. SIA summarizes funding areas of importance to the security industry.
- What the New Stimulus Package Means for Businesses: H.R. 133 included $900 billion in COVID-19 relief funds. SIA provides a partial breakdown of what the package means for small businesses.
- Summary Report on $484 Billion Replenishment Package: Explore this summary produced by SIA's government relations team for SIA and ASIS International members on what the $484 billion in funding from H.R. 266 can mean for businesses.
- Summary Report on COVID-19 “Phase 3” Stimulus Law: This summary on stimulus offerings focuses on those of particular relevance for businesses and SIA and ASIS International members.
- Summary Report on COVID-19 “Phase 2” Stimulus Law: SIA summarizes what provisions from H.R. 6201 can benefit businesses.
RESEARCH RESULTS: How Security Industry Companies Are Returning to Work and Working From Home
SIA Submits Letter to FDA Addressing Thermographic Systems
SIA submitted a letter to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Stephen Hahn with a focus on an awareness that some companies are not following FDA guidelines related to the use of thermal imaging systems during the COVID-19 pandemic. The letter also encouraged the enforcement of FDA’s guidelines. The letter is available here.
SIA-ASIS PARTNERSHIP ON COVID-19 RESPONSE
SIA and ASIS International are partnering to jointly provide resources for security professionals and security industry businesses and organizations. Key focuses of the partnership will include business continuity, government advocacy and the collaborative creation of educational resources and informational content.
ASIS International COVID-19 Resources Page: ASIS International has actively collected a number of resources to aid their members and the public, which includes link to key informational resources and educational content.
SIA-ESA-TMA Letter to Public Safety Leaders on Importance of Security, Fire, Life Safety and Monitoring Services
The Security Industry Association, the Electronic Security Association and The Monitoring Association, in partnership with hundreds of industry executives, are calling state leadership to ensure that essential emergency services are not suspended or impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. The organizations have drafted a letter that has been signed by nearly 500 leaders of industry businesses.
The electronic security and life safety industry associations also partnered to create a letter from the three associations sent directly to federal, state and local officials.
Latest Updates and Upcoming Programs
Pandemic Changes in Building Access Are Here to Stay: Moving Toward Mobile Access and Touchless Sensors
Security in multitenant buildings and condominium complexes has been evolving for many years. Property managers continuously look for ways to ensure the safety and security of individual living spaces, as well as common and shared areas, and the events of the past two years increased the already existing demand for comprehensive and efficient access control…
The cannabis industry is one of the fastest-growing verticals in the United States, offering a variety of opportunities for businesses seeking to capitalize on continued state deregulation. Amid global shutdowns, shelter-in-place orders, loss of jobs and the ever-present threat of illness, cannabis sales skyrocketed in 2020. A study conducted by Leafly using state tax and…
The Long Path to True Convergence: Where Do Things Really Stand and Why Have They Not Progressed Further?
The ongoing digital transformation means limitless opportunities for those who can harness the digitization of the physical world safely and effectively. But these changes have forever altered the threat landscape, leaving no entity without risk. According to the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), today’s threats result from hybrid attacks targeting both physical and…
With the Dec. 8 deadline for federal contractors and many subcontractor employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 fast approaching, affected security industry suppliers are building and implementing compliance programs. This SIA video roundtable discussion featuring Diz Locaria, partner at Venable, LLP; Lynn de Séve, founder and president of GSA Schedules, Inc.; and Fabiola Francisco,…
Provided to SIA members as a review of current market conditions, the August/September 2021 Security Market Index showed strong industry confidence with a SMI of 64, despite new shutdowns and fear over the delta variant of COVID-19.
Foundation for Advancing Security Talent Extends Free Job Postings to the FAST Jobs Board for SIA and ESA Members
Electronic Security Association and Security Industry Association members will be able to list jobs for free through August 2022 to help the security industry recover from the business impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. DALLAS, Texas – The Foundation for Advancing Security Talent (FAST) has announced an extension of its free job listings for Electronic Security…
In every issue of SIA Technology Insights, we try to look to the cutting edge (and sometimes even to the bleeding edge) of security technology, to ensure you stay current with the steady whir of technology change. This edition examines the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on security operations, from touchless access control to temperature screening, as well as topics like how security technology is evolving from detection to intervention and prevention.
Touchless Entry Is Here to Stay: How Modifications to Building Access Promote Both Security and Safety
The COVID-19 pandemic has had an immense impact on nearly every aspect of our lives, including how people interact and perform their jobs and even how buildings are designed. The goal of all these changes? Reducing human-to-human contact and, thus, slowing or stopping the spread of the virus. As a result, businesses are challenged to…
HEALTH AND PREVENTION RESOURCES
- British Security Industry Association Coronavirus information page: This page includes UK-focused guidance and updates related to the virus.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Coronavirus/COVID-19 Information Site: The CDC site offers trusted information on COVID-19, including a thorough risk assessment, information on prevention, tracking of U.S. cases and more.
- CDC Information and Guidance Related to Travel: This subsection of the CDC site provides extensive information related to travel.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Coronavirus Workplace Tips for Employees: This employee-facing document is designed to provide education to employees for preventing infection and what to do if sick.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Guidance to Employers: This PDF document from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce provides tips that may help prevent workplace exposures to acute respiratory illnesses, including the coronavirus, in non-health care settings.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Guidance on Thermal Imaging Systems and COVID-19: This guidance highlights how thermal imaging systems can be used to measure surface skin temperature, the benefits and limitations of these systems in the COVID-19 pandemic and recommendations for proper preparation and use of thermal imaging systems and answers key questions about using these systems during COVID-19.
- HealthData.org COVID-19 Projections: These COVID-19 projections, assuming full social distancing through May 2020, are the visualizations and statistical models being used by the Trump administration and the National Institutes of Health's Dr. Anthony Fauci to help predict the impact of the coronavirus outbreak and protect as many people as possible.
REGULATORY AND POLICY RESOURCES
- State and Local COVID-19 Response Information: This state-by-state guide from MultiState Associates provides state of emergency and executive order status for all 50 states, in addition to links to state health websites on COVID-19.
- Summary of CARES Act SBA Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) & Loan Forgiveness Program: This document summarizes key provisions of the CARES Act, the new U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) PPP and loan forgiveness program and answers key questions on who is eligible, allowable uses for PPP loans, application requirements and more.
- SBA PPP Frequently Asked Questions: This PDF resource from the U.S. Department of the Treasury provides timely additional guidance regarding the SBA's Paycheck Protection Program, including answers to common questions about lender requirements, small business borrower eligibility, the scope of PPP loan coverage and more.
- Guide to State Executive Orders: The Council of State Governments has collected all executive orders in a single page.
- COVID-19 2020 State & Local Government Report: Policy tracking firm Stateside delivered this PDF document that tracks executive actions, legislatures affected, worker protection, mass gathering limitations, retail closures, and orders related to non-essential businesses and workers.
BUSINESS OPERATIONS AND CONTINUITY RESOURCES
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Guidance on Creating a Telework Program: If your company does not yet have a telework program in place, offering an opportunity for telework may be a responsible choice. SHRM authored this starting point should you need guidance on managing telework.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Ready.gov Business Continuity Plan: This plan and framework is designed to help businesses analyze the impact and develop recovery strategies for emergency situations.
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Assistance in Response to the Coronavirus: The SBA is offering designated states and territories low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to small businesses suffering substantial economic injury as a result of the coronavirus. Learn more about the loans, eligibility and the application process.
- DHS-CISA Alert on Enterprise VPN Security: As more organizations implement telework, this alert drives awareness of IT/cybersecurity risks and measures that need to be addressed related to virtual private networks (VPNs).
- CDC Guidance on Large and Small Events: This page provides updates and information for organizers and staff responsible for planning mass gatherings or large community events in the United States.
- Business Continuity and Pandemic Response Guidance from Gallagher: Insurance, risk management and consulting firm Gallagher provides recommendations on minimizing business disruption and protect employees during a pandemic.
- EEOC Bulletin – What You Should Know About the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and COVID-19: This bulletin from the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) provides updates on practices related to sick employees, fitness for duty, hiring, accommodations for disabilities, and other anti-discrimination practices.
- Coronavirus Anxiety – Helpful Expert Tips and Resources: The Anxiety and Depression Association of America has collected and provided resources and tips created by mental health professionals on topics related to mitigating against increased anxiety.
Webinars and Training Content
- Webinar – COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Business Implications & Legal Triage: This webinar from law firm Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP will address: crisis response and management, employment issues and risks, supply chain concerns, business interruption and insurance coverage, cybersecurity readiness and IT system impacts. See also Pillsbury’s coronavirus resources page, which is largely focused on business concerns.
- COVID-19 Resilience and Safety Course: The Global Resilience Institute at Northeastern University has developed a free online course that covers everything from health basics to navigating public spaces and staying connected.
- Webinar – Contract Performance and Frustration in Coronavirus’s New Normal: Law firm Venable LLP is offering this recorded webinar to discuss force majeure, impracticability and impossibility doctrines under state law as they relate to the coronavirus and performance of contracts in the current environment.
- Webinar - COVID-19's Impact on the Food Chain: Attorneys from Venable's FDA and International Trade practices discuss the impact of COVID-19 on the food supply chain in this recorded webinar.
- Infragard Webinar – Building Personal and Organizational Resiliency Against Coronavirus (COVID-19): This webinar will be hosted by Infragard members with extensive health care, business continuity and critical infrastructure expertise; the webinar is likely to also include representatives from CDC and DHS.
PREPAREDNESS SOLUTIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM SIA MEMBER COMPANIES
- PSA Security Network COVID-19 Resources: PSA Security Network has developed resources of value for their network of security and AV integrators; many resources linked are also relevant to the broader security industry.
- Teleworkr Service from TekMonks: SIA member company Tekmonks is offering its cybersecurity-focused teleworking solution, Teleworkr, to SIA member companies at no cost. To learn more about it, visit www.teleworkr.com or email Komal Dureja, global director of sales and marketing, at Komal.Dureja@tekmonks.com to set up a quick demo or to help you get this implemented today.
- Tips for Remote System Design & Virtual Site Surveys: This webinar training (available on-demand and in scheduled live formats) from SIA member company System Surveyor covers how to use virtual tools like web and video conferencing along with the firm’s digital system design platform, enabling your design, surveying and sales teams to stay productive while on limited travel.
- COVID-19 Situational Report From AS Solution: AS Solution has compiled this information page that tracks statistics and significant developments in the spread of COVID-19 in a format particularly useful for global risk and security managers.
- Identiv COVID-19 Tips and Solutions: Identity solutions firm Identiv provides product recommendations and deal on remote authentication solutions. The firm also provides guidance on keeping data and remote employees secure.
- Iomniscient Automated Fever Detection Product: Member firm iOmniscient reports that it has launched an automated technology solution for fever detection.