Resources for COVID-19 and Business Continuity
In light of the evolving situation with the COVID-19 coronavirus, the Security Industry Association (SIA) wants to express our concern to all SIA members and to the broader security industry, particularly any individuals and companies being directly impacted by the coronavirus. This message from SIA CEO Don Erickson highlights SIA’s promise to do all we can to support your business during these uncertain times.
SIA recognizes that the spread of this virus could affect employee health and your business’ continuity. As such, we have provided a selection of public informational resources below that anyone can access to prepare for this public health emergency. Our thoughts are with all those persons directly impacted by and those responding to this global public health situation, and SIA will continue to guide members to additional resources.
[To submit resources to this page for consideration, please email SIA's Geoff Kohl, firstname.lastname@example.org.]
SIA-ASIS PARTNERSHIP ON COVID-19 RESPONSE
SIA and ASIS International are partnering to jointly provide resources for security professionals and security industry businesses and organizations. Key focuses of the partnership will include business continuity, government advocacy and the collaborative creation of educational resources and informational content.
ASIS International COVID-19 Resources Page: ASIS International has actively collected a number of resources to aid their members and the public, which includes link to key informational resources and educational content.
Guide to State and Local COVID-19 Programs
This Guide to Local and State COVID-19 Programs has been compiled as part of the SIA and ASIS International partnership to create response-related resources and direct both organizations’ members to current information. The document is a state-by-state guide to programs, with web links and additional notes.
COVID-19 STIMULUS PACKAGE SUMMARY REPORT
SIA Summary Report on COVID-19 “Phase 2” Stimulus Law: SIA Government Relations has provided this summary on what provisions from HR 6201 can benefit businesses.
SIA-ESA-TMA Letter to Public Safety Leaders on Importance of Security, Fire, Life Safety and Monitoring Services
The Security Industry Association, the Electronic Security Association and The Monitoring Association, in partnership with hundreds of industry executives, are calling state leadership to ensure that essential emergency services are not suspended or impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. The organizations have drafted a letter that has been signed by nearly 500 leaders of industry businesses.
The electronic security and life safety industry associations also partnered to create a letter from the three associations sent directly to federal, state and local officials.
Latest Updates and Upcoming Programs
HEALTH AND PREVENTION RESOURCES
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Coronavirus/COVID-19 Information Site: The CDC site offers trusted information on COVID-19, including a thorough risk assessment, information on prevention, tracking of U.S. cases and more.
- CDC Information and Guidance Related to Travel: This subsection of the CDC site provides extensive information related to travel.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Guidance to Employers: This PDF document from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce provides tips that may help prevent workplace exposures to acute respiratory illnesses, including the coronavirus, in non-health care settings.
- HealthData.org COVID-19 Projections: These COVID-19 projections, assuming full social distancing through May 2020, are the visualizations and statistical models being used by the Trump administration and the National Institutes of Health's Dr. Anthony Fauci to help predict the impact of the coronavirus outbreak and protect as many people as possible.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Coronavirus Workplace Tips for Employees: This employee-facing document is designed to provide education to employees for preventing infection and what to do if sick.
- British Security Industry Association Coronavirus information page: This page includes UK-focused guidance and updates related to the virus.
REGULATORY AND POLICY RESOURCES
- State and Local COVID-19 Response Information: This state-by-state guide from MultiState Associates provides state of emergency and executive order status for all 50 states, in addition to links to state health websites on COVID-19.
- Summary of CARES Act SBA Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) & Loan Forgiveness Program: This document summarizes key provisions of the CARES Act, the new U.S. Small Business Administration PPP and loan forgiveness program and answers key questions on who is eligible, allowable uses for PPP loans, application requirements and more.
- Guide to State Executive Orders: The Council of State Governments has collected all executive orders in a single page.
- COVID-19 2020 State & Local Government Report: Policy tracking firm Stateside delivered this PDF document that tracks executive actions, legislatures affected, worker protection, mass gathering limitations, retail closures, and orders related to non-essential businesses and workers.
BUSINESS OPERATIONS AND CONTINUITY RESOURCES
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Guidance on Creating a Telework Program: If your company does not yet have a telework program in place, offering an opportunity for telework may be a responsible choice. SHRM authored this starting point should you need guidance on managing telework.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Ready.gov Business Continuity Plan: This plan and framework is designed to help businesses analyze the impact and develop recovery strategies for emergency situations.
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Disaster Assistance in Response to the Coronavirus: The SBA is offering designated states and territories low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to small businesses suffering substantial economic injury as a result of the coronavirus. Learn more about the loans, eligibility and the application process.
- DHS-CISA Alert on Enterprise VPN Security: As more organizations implement telework, this alert drives awareness of IT/cybersecurity risks and measures that need to be addressed related to virtual private networks (VPNs).
- CDC Guidance on Large and Small Events: This page provides updates and information for organizers and staff responsible for planning mass gatherings or large community events in the United States.
- Business Continuity and Pandemic Response Guidance from Gallagher: Insurance, risk management and consulting firm Gallagher provides recommendations on minimizing business disruption and protect employees during a pandemic.
- EEOC Bulletin – What You Should Know About the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and COVID-19: This bulletin from the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) provides updates on practices related to sick employees, fitness for duty, hiring, accommodations for disabilities, and other anti-discrimination practices.
- Coronavirus Anxiety – Helpful Expert Tips and Resources: The Anxiety and Depression Association of America has collected and provided resources and tips created by mental health professionals on topics related to mitigating against increased anxiety.
Webinars and Training Content
- Webinar – COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Business Implications & Legal Triage: This webinar from law firm Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP will address: crisis response and management, employment issues and risks, supply chain concerns, business interruption and insurance coverage, cybersecurity readiness and IT system impacts. See also Pillsbury’s coronavirus resources page, which is largely focused on business concerns.
- COVID-19 Resilience and Safety Course: The Global Resilience Institute at Northeastern University has developed a free online course that covers everything from health basics to navigating public spaces and staying connected.
- Webinar – Contract Performance and Frustration in Coronavirus’s New Normal: Law firm Venable LLP is offering this recorded webinar to discuss force majeure, impracticability and impossibility doctrines under state law as they relate to the coronavirus and performance of contracts in the current environment.
- Webinar - COVID-19's Impact on the Food Chain: Attorneys from Venable's FDA and International Trade practices discuss the impact of COVID-19 on the food supply chain in this recorded webinar.
- Infragard Webinar – Building Personal and Organizational Resiliency Against Coronavirus (COVID-19): This webinar will be hosted by Infragard members with extensive health care, business continuity and critical infrastructure expertise; the webinar is likely to also include representatives from CDC and DHS.
PREPAREDNESS SOLUTIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS FROM SIA MEMBER COMPANIES
- PSA Security Network COVID-19 Resources: PSA Security Network has developed resources of value for their network of security and AV integrators; many resources linked are also relevant to the broader security industry.
- Tips for Remote System Design & Virtual Site Surveys: This webinar training (available on-demand and in scheduled live formats) from SIA member company System Surveyor covers how to use virtual tools like web and video conferencing along with the firm’s digital system design platform, enabling your design, surveying and sales teams to stay productive while on limited travel.
- COVID-19 Situational Report From AS Solution: AS Solution has compiled this information page that tracks statistics and significant developments in the spread of COVID-19 in a format particularly useful for global risk and security managers.
- Identiv COVID-19 Tips and Solutions: Identity solutions firm Identiv provides product recommendations and deal on remote authentication solutions. The firm also provides guidance on keeping data and remote employees secure.
- Iomniscient Automated Fever Detection Product: Member firm iOmniscient reports that it has launched an automated technology solution for fever detection.