SIA encourages its members to strengthen their cybersecurity postures and offers a variety of resources to support them making cybersecurity a priority.
“Whether your company is a manufacturer, security solutions developer, systems integrator or firm providing services to the security industry, you will likely face challenges and questions related to cybersecurity and privacy. Just like with physical security, real cybersecurity is achieved through diligent efforts from people to create and execute on processes,” said SIA CEO Don Erickson. “SIA is proud to be a champion of robust cyber readiness education, adherence to international cybersecurity standards and continuous efforts to strengthen cybersecurity practices across the security industry and ecosystem.”
Cybersecurity Awareness Month is a collaborative effort to bring awareness to the challenges of cybersecurity and to ensure that every individual stays safe and secure online. This year, specific themes for the month include enabling strong authentication and password practices, updating software and recognizing and reporting phishing.
SIA, a 2022 Champion of Cybersecurity Awareness Month, is dedicated to responsible connectivity and has a variety of offerings to meet the security industry’s needs, including the following:
- In 2021, SIA unveiled the Security Industry Cybersecurity Certification (SICC), a new industry credential developed by SIA with support from PSA Security Network and Security Specifiers and the first-ever certification focused specifically on cybersecurity and physical security convergence. The SICC program is designed for security industry professionals and assesses and validates the core competencies these individuals must possess to effectively perform roles involving key facets of cybersecurity. Earning the SICC demonstrates a high level of competence in physical, cyber and information security, and SIA offers a review course to help prospective candidates prepare for the SICC exam and to earn their credentials.
- As part of its SIAcademy LIVE! series of instructor-led online training courses, SIA created SIAcademy LIVE! Cybersecurity for Physical Security Professionals. This learning series, produced in partnership with PSA Security Network, covers some of the most important cybersecurity and networking topics that physical security professionals must be competent in, whether you’re installing and managing solutions or simply need proficiency and common knowledge when working with partners and clients. The course is available on demand here.
- SIA’s Cybersecurity Advisory Board (CAB) – a board-appointed group of industry cybersecurity experts whose mission is to guide SIA members ahead of potential cybersecurity issues related to electronic physical security measures – will be releasing a series of blogs, articles and videos throughout Cybersecurity Awareness Month containing helpful tips and guidance on key cybersecurity topics. In the first video offering of the series, CAB member Rachelle Loyear – vice president of integrated security at Allied Universal – highlights the top five things physical security leaders need to do to enhance their companies’ cybersecurity. Watch the video here.
- At SIA’s Securing New Ground (SNG) conference (taking place Oct. 18-19 in New York City), the industry’s biggest players and top leaders will gather for premier networking, information sharing and business analysis. Among the 2022 SNG conference lineup is Cybersecurity Threats and Leading in a World of Converged Security, an engaging panel discussion featuring industry experts and cybersecurity information security officers’ insights on cybersecurity of the Internet of Things, nation-state hacking, how cybersecurity leaders can coordinate with physical security leaders to prepare for threats, artificial intelligences’ impact on cybersecurity and more.
- As part of the SIA Education@ISC conference program at ISC East and ISC West, SIA produces a variety of sessions on essential cybersecurity topics. At ISC East 2022 (taking place Nov. 15-17 in New York City), sessions include a keynote presentation on the cybersecurity and organizational resilience in the Natinoal Football League, offerings on how biometrics can enhance digital security and more. Additionally, i-PRO Americas’ Will Knehr will present on securing the Industrial Internet of Things using zero trust. In this video and blog, speaker Knehr explores what zero trust is, why organizations like the U.S. Department of Defense embrace the zero trust model, how it can be applied to IIoT devices and what to expect during this session.
- SIA’s government relations team works to drive awareness among SIA members of cybersecurity grant opportunities and programs, including new cybersecurity grants authorized and funded under the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act.
Additional SIA cybersecurity resources include the Beginner’s Guide to Product and System Hardening, Information Security Overview, Cyber Onboarding Guide for Employees, Recommendations for Initiating an Enterprise Security Strategy and Challenges and Recommendations for Connected Physical Security Products.
SIA is the leading trade association for global security solution providers, with over 1,200 innovative member companies representing thousands of security leaders and experts who shape the future of the security industry. SIA protects and advances its members’ interests by advocating pro-industry policies and legislation at the federal and state levels, creating open industry standards that enable integration, advancing industry professionalism through learning and development, opening global market opportunities and collaborating with other like-minded organizations. As the premier sponsor of ISC Events expos and conferences, SIA ensures its members have access to top-level buyers and influencers, as well as unparalleled learning and network opportunities. SIA also enhances the position of its members in the security marketplace through SIA GovSummit, which brings together private industry with government decision makers, and Securing New Ground, the security industry’s top executive conference for peer-to-peer networking.