The mission of SIA’s Facial Recognition Working Group is to advise and participate in legislative advocacy and communications efforts, help determine priority areas of focus and to support initiatives serving the needs of the industry. The group also works to ensure SIA and its members – as subject matter experts in facial recognition technology and its uses – participate as stakeholders in the development of any policies affecting the use of facial recognition technology.
- Active participation providing input on federal and state legislation, including Congressional testimony and input on numerous state bills
- Publication of Face Facts series of informational documents on facial recognition, including Face Facts: Dispelling Common Myths Associated With Facial Recognition Technology and Face Facts: How Facial Recognition Makes Us Safer and the Dangers of a Blanket Ban
- Publication of What NIST Data Shows About Facial Recognition and Demographics, an in-depth analysis of the 2019 NIST study on facial recognition
- Active coordination with national and international news media covering facial recognition
- Development of a public policy page on facial recognition that provides information on SIA positions and activities