Government Relations Committee
The Government Relations Committee advises SIA members regarding legislation, regulations and other pending government actions affecting the security industry and makes recommendations for related actions.
- Representation of SIA members and their interests before federal and state policymakers
- Formation of Security PAC political action committee
- Publications and tools (Federal Grants Guide, Export Assistance Guide, Guide to Navigating Federal Contracting Rules)
- Webcasts on emerging policy issues affecting the security industry
- Regulatory Relief: The signing of the Power and Security Systems Act in November 2017 culminated a yearlong effort to preserve an important exemption from federal energy efficiency rules critical to the operation of security and fire alarm systems.
- Tax Reform: The tax overhaul signed into law by President Trump in December 2017 (P.L. 115-97) provided key incentives for businesses to purchase fire and security systems.
- In June 2022, increases to the primary grant program for school security were included in the enacted bipartisan gun safety measure. SIA also lobbied in support of additional proposed federal legislation to allow use of unused COVID-19 and Title IV funds for security measures and conducted outreach on SIA’s Open Supervised Device Protocol through SIA GovSummit.
Get Involved: Volunteer Your Expertise!
Your knowledge and leadership on an SIA committee can help shape the future of the security industry. Contact SIA staff for volunteer opportunities.